Sunday, August 30, 2009

1-800

I just sent my parents an email, fairly blunt but short of asking for our half of the costs incurred. Just listing all the expenses and stating how frustrated I am with the fact that we're spending so much of our money raising someone else's child. (And I don't begrudge this girl anything, I really don't.)

Actually, when I think about it, maybe not begrudging her anything is part of the problem. Maybe we spoil her. We both were raised by parents who didn't provide us with much. Shawn, because his mother was uneducated and had more children than she could support, and me, because my parents were post-war English baby-boomers who just simply believe in holding on to whatever you have very very tightly.

So we heal ourselves, maybe, by indulging her with the things we couldn't have. Nice clothes, a nice bedroom, extra curricular activities...

Anyway. I told my parents how I feel. I'm not sure that they'll care in the least, given how my previous attempts at addressing this topic gently have been ignored, but at least I've tried.

I believe, quite honestly, that they've somehow rationalized not helping out with this, and that my email is going to accomplish nothing. And in some ways that makes it worse than not saying anything because it's so hard to be rejected when you're asking.

I wish I had a different family sometimes. I don't understand why these people are the ones I'm so entrenched with.



*

No comments: