Tuesday, August 26, 2008

laughing spinning swinging madly across the sun

Well, today was interesting in a few ways. The staff was supposed to be at school for 8:30, and I decided on my own that I wanted to arrive around 8:00 in hopes of beating the other teacher to the theatre so that I could do a little territory-protecting. Peeing in the corners, if you will. This idea fell somewhat by the wayside when it came down to actually getting my butt out the door because I didn't feel like moving and I also kind of realised that I just don't care that much. If it's only a part time job, it's not worth getting myself worked up about it. So I ended up leaving at a more leisurely pace, thinking that instead of trying to beat him to the punch I would just be amiable and pleasant and not let myself get stressed out over a career that would, at most, take three hours a day out of my life.

Armed with my newfound lackadaisical attitude, I strolled into work (still feeling somewhat trepidacious on the inside, whistling on the outside and swinging my keys) where I was met by my department head who immediately informed me that in fact, the other teacher may not be back after all. Although he informed Human Resources he intended to return to work, he has not contacted the school's administration nor the medical staff he needs to contact to gain clearance for returning to work. So there's no guarantee, of course, that I'll have the full time job after all, but it certainly seems like it could work out in my favour after all. I do hope so.

Prior to this situation at work, my experience and understanding of unions was minimal. I knew they took money out of my paycheque every month and I knew they were supposed to represent me at contractual negotiations. Otherwise I knew nothing. Since then I've had the opportunity to learn much more and I'm not impressed. The degree of protection this other teacher has received from the union over the last few years is astonishing. At a detriment to the students, the staff, and the entire Drama program, this man has been permitted to keep a stranglehold on this position forever while he never actually shows up to do the work.

Anyway. To be continued, I'm sure.

The other surprise was the day's activities. Having not attended summer professional development days with this staff last year (because I was hired late) I had no idea what to expect. The events for the day were nothing I would actually call professional development per se, but they were good for teambuilding. It the morning we all boarded a bus and were driven to a mysterious location and given a scavenger hunt. We spent the morning running around looking for landmarks and bugging local people for information.

In the afternoon we boarded dragonboats and were given a crash course in paddling. After a bit of practice time we raced other boats and showed off our incredible lack of skill. I got soaking wet because the man in front of me was a rather exuberant rower, but the event was fun.

I came home to angry puppies who were offended that I'd left them in their houses all day long for the first time since June. Judging by the depth and warmth of the snugglepile on my lap, I have to assume they have forgiven me.


*

No comments: