Monday, August 20, 2007

the treat you can give often

Last night I had dream in which I was in a play and had somehow not bothered to learn my lines or stage directions. So when opening night arrived I was taken by surprise and huddled under a blanket on the stage in the dark (from beneath which I was supposed to emerge at the start of the show) trying to read a scrap of paper on which some of my lines were written. I couldn't really read them in the dark, of course, and what little I could make out didn't even make any sense so I couldn't even understand my own lines.

It's not the first time I've had this dream, the one of being in some kind of play and not knowing my lines. I think it's pretty much the same as the old "out in public in my underwear" dream - an anxiety based around lack of preparedness. Very fitting. I don't really think this dream has a secret deeper meaning. I think it just means I'm scared I'm going to forget something important. Because I am.


*


I am driving to a neighbouring town about an hour and a half away to meet my parents and niece for lunch today. We are meeting here because it is halfway between our homes and therefore reduces the amount of driving one person has to do. I was surprised by their suggestion that we do this because in the two years that we've lived here my parents have never once offered to drive in my direction and, in fact, have never seen my house. I hope the fact they're starting to try means good things for the future.



*

No comments: