Wednesday, August 08, 2007

and cut

I subscribed to something called "Word of the Day". It doesn't actually come daily, and I can't really figure out what the pattern is. Sometimes I get a couple of them a week. Sometimes several weeks pass in between words. No matter, it's interesting and I enjoy it. Most of the time the words are things I've never heard of before, and I like the idea of learning new words, even though most of the time I forget them straight away because I forget to try using them.

Today, however, I feel ripped off. "Jeetchet" was today's word of the day, and as far as I'm concerned, "jeetchet" is NOT a word. According to the definition provided, the English language is filled with invented words like this, and that they become words strictly through use. Bah. I do not accept it.

Jeetchet, according to Word of the Day, is an English word that means, "Did you eat yet?" I strenuously disagree.


*

I attended a meeting this morning with GDJ and D as well as Art. Art wasn't wearing his standard Bill Cosby sweater; I suppose the weather is too warm in spite of the threat of rain. As always, the topics for discussion seemed to be mainly things that have nothing to do with me. I never understand why GDJ persists in inviting me to these meetings at all, except that perhaps he just feels he should see me and talk business since he's in town.

He did say, as we said goodbye in the parking lot, that he would extend my contract "in some form or another" at least until this project is completed. I didn't really know what that meant, not really knowing much about this project in the big picture. I'm really only aware of, and concerned about, my own small part of it, which is the script writing. After it goes off to be turned into video and animations and voice tracks and all that.... well, by then it's so far out of my hands I can barely recognize myself in it. So, how long I can continue to count on this job is completely unclear at this point.

He also mentioned last week that there should be work at his other office and that I should get ahold of the manager there. I did email that manager with my new contact information and said I'd be looking forward to doing some work. He responded positively, but also vaguely. I'm sure they're on break right now for the summer and I imagine that September seems a long way off.
I will be more than happy to continue writing articles for them if that is what GDJ has in mind, but there absolutely no way I will get involved in sales.


*

Now, to make some breakfast/lunch. I didn't "eetchet".


*

No comments: