Wednesday, August 15, 2007

in defense of sketching

A bad thing that happens in summer is that I start, slowly, five minutes at a time, staying up later and later, which requires me to sleep in later and later. Normally, when I don't have to worry about going to work, my body feels best when I get up at 8:00am and go to bed around 11:00pm. That's nine hours of sleep, which is more than I'm supposed to need, but I feel best with nine hours.

Throughout the summer, though, somehow, the schedule slowly starts to creep to being later and later. Generally I blame Shawn for this, because he's a night owl, but since he's not even here right now, I guess I do it even without his influence. It just takes longer. This morning I didn't up until a few minutes before ten which is really rather ridiculous since I am no longer a teenager.


*


I have been offered a substitute teaching position, which is, I suppose, better than not having one. But it's hard to get excited over a job that requires such a high threshold for tolerating abuse. The only reason to do this is in the hopes that it will lead to something permanent, which is funny because I don't know if I want something permanent. Yet, I have no reason not to be working full time other than utter laziness.

I have to go to the police station this afternoon and give them thirty dollars to look up my files and certify that I don't have a criminal record. I can certainly appreciate that school boards make this effort to ensure they aren't hiring convicted felons, but it does annoy me how many times I've had to do this recently and I have to wonder why the various boards and departments can't talk to each other instead of making me do this over and over again.

When it comes right down to it, I guess what bothers me most is that I'll have to get dressed and leave the house when I'd really be more happy to just hang out in my pajamas all day.



*
*



No comments: