Tuesday, August 21, 2007

a cheap lesson

I was an hour and a half late meeting my parents for lunch because there was a horrible accident on the highway ahead of me. It was only a few minutes ahead of me that it happened (I didn't see it, thank god) and the road was completely shut down while people were cut out of mangled vehicles. I was without my cell phone because Shawn has taken it to BC with him, and had no way to call the restaurant. I wasn't sure my parents would still be there by the time I arrived but they were and had heard about the accident on the radio so knew I would be late.

*

L is back from holiday and has phoned me five times since Monday morning. I think it's because I feel more confident communicating in writing, when I have time to think about what I want to say, that I am frustrated by the fact that he calls so frequently to tell me things he could easily send me a note about. To top it off, he wants to meet face to face tomorrow to discuss one of the scripts. I feel sure this is something we could have managed through messages (or even on the phone) but had no really good reason to say no, other than the fact that I prefer wasting time in my pajamas.

He asked when I was available and I decided to ask for his first spare moment in the day, which happens to be at 8:00am. This means I'll need to leave by 7:30 and be awake by 6:30 in order to have time to feed the pups first. I could have met with him later in the day, but I wanted to get it done and over with so I'd have time to do the rewrites before day's end and still do the sorting that needs to be done before the movers arrive on Thursday to pack up my house. The other benefit to getting up this early is that it will force me to get back on track with my sleeping habits that have slowly been becoming more and more like a sixteen year old's.


*

After the second phone call with L, I went to pet store with Puppy D to find two more travel harnesses. Unfortunately, they only had one in the right size, and so I was forced to purchase a different one at a different store, one which turned out not to fit anybody. This gave me the opportunity to take Em for a ride to return the bad harness, and later in the day, to take Little Puppy out to the other branch of the store I like to find the harness I wanted. It was an eventful day to be a dog.

And when I went through the Starbucks drive-through, they gave Em a milkbone that was almost as big as his head. He was delighted.


*

Tomorrow bodes busy. These things are always worse in the anticipatory phase than they are in reality. I just want it all over and done.


*

No comments: