Thursday, August 30, 2007

This is where we used to live

I'm not sure what I meant when I said I would start my new job on Monday. Monday is a holiday - Labour Day. The kids arrive on Tuesday, but that day is just an organizational kind of thing, and though I will be present on Tuesday, I will, undoubtedly, be just as confused as the students if not more so, and therefore will not begin doing anything particularly useful or productive until Wednesday.

However, I started this week. I attended both Wednesday and today. On Wednesday morning Shawn and I had an appointment with our lawyer to sign final papers to take possession of our house on Friday. My boss said it was fine to come in to work after that was done, which I did. I arrived around 10:30 and got to participate in most of the professional day which was focused on teaching adolescent boys. Interesting topic, interesting presenter. I'm not sure if my positive outlook is the result of my extended break from this profession or if it really was better than the professional development activities that I have grown accustomed to, but I feltl like it was a useful session. I also got to eat lunch with staff members and meet a few people, and most of their names immediately fell out of my brain.

Today was good too. This day had a departmental focus which meant I got to spend time with the Art, Band, Dance and Photography teachers. I also got to spend some time in my classroom/theatre getting organized and familiarizing myself with the space. It's nicer than any teaching space I've had before and I am feeling positive about what is to come.

The man whose name is still officially on this job may return, apparently, in January, so it remains to be seen whether or not I will get to keep this job, but it seems quite possible that he won't be back. However, it is also entirely possible that he will return and bump me out of the position. The good news, however, is that whether or not he returns, by the time January comes I will have been teaching long enough that the school board will be obligated to find me a placement somewhere, so if I want to work, I will work.

*

Tonight we are taking Shawn's dad and stepmother out for dinner to thank them for their help and hospitality toward us and our pupfamily. Tomorrow Shawn and I will be getting the keys to our new home at 12:00 noon.


*

2 comments:

Brat said...

I stumbled on this in such a round about way, starting with accidentally clicking on Yahoo 360 while chatting to Katt, from there i ended up in Rebel's blog which was strangly enlightening but a little scary. You think you know people and...

Anyway..I can't believe you've been hiding this from me, my dear. ;) And i hope you don't mind my butting in.

CONGRATS ON THE NEW JOB!!! I hope it's fullifilling and wonderful for you..even though it means you'll be home less during the day.

Tell Bellows he needs ACIDOPHOLUS!!!

I love you so very much my friend, I hope you know that.

Kisses on your nose.

mischief said...

Hehe, you geek. I wasn't hiding this from you. In fact I'm SURE I've mentioned it to you! I posted the link to it on my profile at PH a long time ago; maybe you thought I meant the other blog? Anyway, how wonderful that you've arrived. My readership is becoming enormous; hope the fame doesn't go to my head. ;)