Wednesday, August 22, 2007

more tangles

The lawyer's assistant called me this morning while I was meeting with L. and left a message on the machine. When I called her back, she told me that the other lawyer, the one who is representing the people that bought this house, is insisting we provide an updated "Real Property Report", a document that will cost us, oh, only about six hundred dollars to get a hold of.

We have an outdated one, outdated by the fact that our next door neighbour has added a fence to the property line between our house and his. Of course this was a perfectly reasonable thing to do, on his part, and I hold him in no way accountable for this problem, but I really am having trouble understanding how we can be responsible to provide a new report for changes that he makes to his property in the interim between when we sell our house and when the purchaser takes possession of it.

Of course this is one of those stupid situations where we aren't allowed to talk directly to the purchaser, and instead our lawyer and their lawyer and the real estate agents are supposed to bicker and barter it out. But from the sounds of it, we may be on the hook for this thing which basically just sucks. It's hard not to feel angry and vindictive and want to let the puppies pee all over the carpet to welcome these people to their new home. Sigh.


*


The meeting with L. was good, which the meetings with him always are. I don't know why I dread them so much. It's just my antisocial nature.

Today I need to spend the day sorting and setting aside the things I don't want packed. This job might not be as difficult as I feel it might be, but right now it seems daunting and I just want to curl up on the couch with a blanket over my head and forget about all this stuff.


*

No comments: