Friday, August 03, 2007

holding people's hands while we explore their past

I found the books I wanted, which were both, unfortunately, still only available in hardcover. If I was patient and sensible like my Dad, I would have made a Note to Self to remember to get them later when the paperbacks are released, thereby allowing me to buy, perhaps, three books instead of two with the gift certificate. But I am neither patient nor sensible where it comes to books, and though I honestly do think I have managed to inherit a couple of my father's better qualities, books are a in a different realm. Sure, I can be patient and reasonable when it comes to dealing with teenagers, buying cars, or selecting a cell phone plan, but I cannot manage this when it comes to books. So I bought them.

I also drooled a little over Douglas Coupland's books, all of where were available in paperback, and managed to resist them - a feat I could not manage as it applies to the man, himself. I believe he lives in Vancouver, too, so I fully intend to purchase night goggles and begin chasing him through the city in the near future. (Of course, I'd planned the same thing for Brad Fraser while living here, and completely forgot to follow through. I'm a poor excuse for an obsessive fan.)

Speaking of stalk-worthy men, there are some simply delicious twenty-year old men outside with their shirts off, landscaping the neighbours' front yard. I wonder how weird it would be for me to remove my shirt too and offer to help with the shoveling.

Most of the time what attracts me to men is more intellectual than physical. I like funny men. I like smart men. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate physical attractiveness, but a trollish-looking smart funny guy has always stood a better chance than a boring Adonis. I think most women are like this, actually. And in general, I find older men more attractive than younger men, if I'm to reach outside my own age bracket. Of course, as I'm admiring my barely-out-of-adolescence shirtless landscapers, I'm not thinking of how well they would provide for me and my future baby farm, or what great, hilarious and witty conversation they would make. I'm just slipping into the fantasies of a woman whose husband has been out of town nearly a month.

He's coming home tonight!

*


*

No comments: