Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My plan to spend this week writing papers for my courses and preparing for my final exam have been thwarted by hours spent on the phone with social workers, family justice counsellors, and lawyers. It's a roller coaster ride, but not the fun kind; it's the kind that goes on too long and makes you feel like you're going to barf on your shoes.

I've been in tears off and on, snapped at Shawn, spoke angrily with a child protective services worker (who told me that there was no help in a situation like this), in between trying to add a few paragraphs to my paper, confirm the invigilator for my final exam, and draw a few breaths.

One positive thing that came out of my acquaintance with B was the fact that he impressed upon me how important it is to focus on driving safely when distracted and distressed by other things. I think keeping this in mind has been helpful while chauffeuring little J to and from camp while all these things are going on.

I've gotten several contradictory bits of information and advice from the various people I've talked to about how to protect a child, and I'm trying to just go ahead and focus - and act - upon the bits that work for me. The things that work against me I have to ignore.

Little J came home from camp with a headache today and is now napping on the couch. It tears at my heart that she's dealing with so much stress. What can I do?

*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What can you do? I don't know. I guess you do what you can and hope it's enough. That isn't very helpful, but it's usually enough anyway. loves.

mischief said...

*is wowed by both your wisdom and your body*