Saturday, June 14, 2008

we sure are cute for two ugly people

I can tell I'm getting old because I wake up at 6:30 on the weekends and I can't fall asleep again.  I tried until 7:30 and then gave up.  Shawn got up too.  He's older than me, even.  I'm thinking about how incredibly lucky I am to be married to a man who's willing to change his entire life to help friends and family.  These changes we're preparing to make aren't small. 

Having Shawn's friend J here has meant less privacy, less time alone together.  Less walking around naked.  But that change was small compared with what is to come.  Having little J here will mean having to be far more organized, thinking and planning ahead instead of living minute by minute the way we do now.  Little things like making lunches the night before instead of racing to do it in the morning.  Little things like planning a week's worth of meals ahead of time to go shopping instead of scrounging around or ordering pizza when we're hungry.  Little things like planning ahead when we want to be alone together so that someone can be with her.  And monitoring things.  Things like homework and toothbrushing and baths.  And then there's the cat and the hamster.  Feedings, cage cleanings, litter box changes, vet visits ... And on top of that, there's Palmer the Foster Man.  More feedings, more monitoring of playtime and exercise and safety.  All these extra mouths to feed, all these extra bodies using water, making messes, making noise, creating havoc... 

So what do we get out of this?  A sense of knowing we're doing the best we can to help make someone else's life better.  Deposits in the karma account, maybe.


*

2 comments:

Ellen said...

let me know if there's anything I can do. Any advice I can offer on grade schooler survival. Mostly know that I love you and I'm here for you.

mischief said...

Thanks, you. I hope you got good things for your birthday. *kiss*