Sunday, June 15, 2008

covered for life

The graduates acted like idiots at the dinner and dance.  Or, to be fair, a small and extremely loud group acted like idiots.  They arrived drunk and high and threw up on the floor in the hotel, yelled and screamed during the speeches, stumbled around crashing into people and generally acted like complete buffoons.  Of course, because the kids who were acting this way were the "cool" kids, they were getting reinforcement from the others.  It was sad for the staff members who'd put such a huge effort into planning and organizing the event to have kids behaving so poorly, and to be honest, if this is what graduation looks like I don't think I'll attend it again in the future.  Chaperoning drunken teenagers is one of the least fun things I can imagine doing with my time.  

On the positive side, I did enjoy having time to talk with other staff members who I rarely see during the regular working day.  

*

This morning we went for breakfast and then for a walk by the ocean.  The tide was very low and we were able to walk along the sand all the way to the end of the docks where the sailboats are moored.  I love living by the sea so much; it feels like that alone has raised our standard of living a hundred times over.

In the afternoon I told Shawn I was going for a run and he decided to come with me.  This was somewhat miraculous because Shawn hates running.  Last spring when I convinced him to take the running class with me he was absolutely miserable.  I have no idea what has suddenly inspired him but he announced that he plans to run with me at least three times a week from now on.  I still have to say I'll believe it when I see it, but I'd be more than happy to have it happen.  

*

Two days left of classes.  Then exams.  Then holidays.

*


No comments: