Saturday, June 21, 2008

it's a hard rain's a-gonna fall

I've been a vegetable today and I'm not exactly sure why.  I haven't been able to stay awake for more than four consecutive hours.  Fortunately, J has been away on a road trip (settling up some things with his ex-wife) so we've been alone and therefore free to pass away a day drooling on the couch without interruption or interrupting.  As my Adventures in Parenting are about to begin, I am enjoying the last of the afternoon naps.

*

The play on Thursday was a pleasant surprise, much better than I expected it to be, a delightful little piece of Canadiana, written by a local playwright.  I was moved enough to miss the world of theatre, the creation of something special that makes people feel something.  I didn't know the actors, didn't know the playwright, but somehow I felt proud of them.

The other part of the night wasn't so great, the part where I had to spend several hours in the company of a woman from work who I barely knew at the start of the evening.  I have been nice to her at work, in the way that I just try to be nice to everyone, but I think that the truth is that people at work aren't nice to her very often and so she took this as an invitation to friendship.  We got stuck in traffic and after listening to her talk about herself for three hours I was exhausted.  After that we went for dinner where she whipped out an allergy card with about thirty things on it that she is deathly allergic to, and demanded to speak to the chef, requesting that he make her something that wasn't on the menu.  I was kind of appalled, and he seemed rather appalled too.  I now understand why no one on staff really likes this woman.

*


Last night was the high school commencement ceremony and it was deathly boring.  For some reason I cannot possibly figure out, instead of simply calling the name of each graduate as they cross the stage, instead they actually say a little blurb about each one.  Now I can understand this in a small school.  For example, when I went to Shawn's brother's high school graduation, his class had only twelve students.  They showed baby pictures of each student and told a little story about each one.  It was lovely.  However, the school I work at has a HUGE population and having to sit through three hundred nearly identical statements (ie: Mary Smith.... Mary would like to thank her friends and family for standing by her through everything.  Merle Smith.... Merle would like to thank his mom and dad and friends for sticking with him through his high school years.  Adam Southerland.... Adam wishes all the graduates good luck and thanks them all for being there throughout the years.  Tim Squire... Tim thanks his family and friends for all their support and wishes the grads all the best in the future.....) was both exasperating and tedious.  It took nearly three hours.

*

                                            

We decided, officially, to adopt Foster Pup.  Welcome home little guy.  

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He likes this to be his forever home. He told me.

*kissing his ears, then your ears*