Sunday, March 09, 2008

we get questions

This morning I went to visit C and her daughter, and brought Puppy D with me.  Puppy D was pleased that we spent much of the morning walking through the park although he was a little frightened of the crowds of Japanese tourists who kept wanting to photograph him in his little blue sweater.

*

While I was gone, much to my surprise, Shawn cleaned the house.  This was extremely sweet of him because I am hosting a book club meeting here tomorrow and had been dreading the fact that I needed to clean up in preparation for it.  The fact that I am hosting the meeting is the only reason I deserve to attend it because I have only managed to get halfway through the book and haven't enjoyed it in the least.  The book is called Three Cups of Tea and is the story of an American man who attempted to climb K2, but accidentally found himself in a little Balti village instead and became determined to build a school in the village.  It bothers me that I don't like this book because I like the idea of it.  

Anyway, Shawn cleaned the house and saved me a lot of work - which I am adding to my list of reasons to keep him forever and ever.

*

Shawn's mother called tonight to tell him that his grandfather has colon cancer.  His grandfather was fairly recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's and has been deteriorating at a steady rate.  This recent news is unsurprising but upsetting, of course, and hard on Shawn who grew up thinking of his grandpa as a surrogate father.  I don't know how to help other than to snuggle him and love him and be there... which isn't as much as I'd like it to be.  



*

No comments: