Tuesday, March 11, 2008

resting in my arms again

I thought GDJ was unhappy with me because I hadn't heard from him in awhile.  There's something about communicating with people online that I find difficult because I try to (and foolishly expect others to) apply the "niceties" that one would use when writing a letter.  That is, I always use a salutation, try to respond to everything that has been said, and finish with a proper closing.  Even in chat.  

GDJ, being more modern and computer savvy than I, leaves his desk in what I perceive as a "the middle" of  a conversation without telling me he's gone.  He answers my long chatty emails with one word responses.  And I find it confusing, because he is a friend from "real" life.  In real life I never found him rude or abrupt or weird.  But when I try to communicate with him online I perpetually wonder if he's angry with me about something.  Which makes working for him a challenge.

I haven't done a whole lot of work for him lately, and again I'd wondered if he hadn't asked because he was upset with me about something.  But today he asked if I want a job.  A full time one year contract with the Olympics.  He didn't give me a lot of details (short, abrupt) but it sounded interesting.  I wonder if I'm going to leave teaching again.  He said he would send me more information when he got it.  I tried to keep my response snappy.  "Thanks."



*

No comments: