Wednesday, March 19, 2008

that's just what they'll do

My countertop is coming today.  In fact, if the installers show up when they said they would, it'll be here in fifteen minutes.  I doubt they'll be on time because no one ever is, but if they bring a countertop some time today I will be very very happy.  The piece of plywood that has served as counter for several months is marked with red wine, butter, dog food, and all kinds of horrible unidentifiable stains that won't wash off plywood.  I won't miss it.


Every six weeks or so I shave Shawn's head for him.  Not right to the skin, but very short.  He likes having a haircut that requires zero time to style, so this works best.  The other night after I shaved his head he asked if I wanted him to vacuum up the hair or sweep it and put it in the garbage.  I told him he should really put it in the compost heap or else leave it in one of the trees for the birds to take and make nests out of.  He said, "Compost my hair?  Or let birds make nests out of it?  I'm getting sick of this Dharma and Greg crap."  Shawn always makes me laugh.

Last night I was explaining something to him that I read about in my psychology textbook about the history of the term "hysteria".  It turns out that Hippocrates believed that hysteria was a condition specific to women resulting from a wandering uterus.  When a woman's destiny (to have babies) was left unfulfilled for too long, the dejected uterus would begin roaming around within her body searching for its baby, and the wandering resulted in disturbance classified as hysteria.  Shawn listened to my lecture very studiously and then burst into the Nancy Sinatra classic, "This Uterus was Made for Walking".

*

The countertop installers showed up while I was writing this.  At 9:28.  Amazing.


*

No comments: