Monday, March 17, 2008

Head, Heart, Spirit, Hands

Competencies for Sustainable Living was a workshop I attended about education and how to help children become balanced and satisfied with their lives.  All of it, of course, translated through to people in general and hit home with me on a personal as well as a professional level.  I want to credit my source but I can't remember the name of the person who conducted the workshop.  It was one of those things where it all just made so much sense that I internalized it without ever needing to take notes or review it.  It just makes sense.

We need to occupy/feed four basic parts of our psyche: the head, the heart, the spirit, and the hands.

Head - means using the brain.  Like taking classes.  Like learning about something.  Anything.

Heart - means giving and receiving love.  Like a with a husband, or puppies, or mom, or friends.  Anyone.

Spirit - is harder to define.  It's that part of you that feels better when you commune with nature, or pray, or dream.  Like watching the birds feed.  Or playing with the baby turtles.  Or singing.

Hands - is about doing something.  Making something.  Creating something.  Breathing hard.  Like running or walking or building things or gardening.



When all parts are fed, no part is hungry.


*




1 comment:

Ellen said...

I think I need to remember this. thanks