Monday, March 24, 2008

in the hope that there's a heaven

Today is Shawn's last day of holiday.  It's been wonderful being home together for the last five days - but I know I'm going to get a lot more work done on my courses when he's not here distracting me.  I've managed to make some pretty good headway in spite of his being here, but I feel certain I'll be a lot more focused when he's back at work.  When he's here it's just too much fun to go out for lunches, walk by the ocean, check out art galleries, drink wine, and snuggle up and ignore the world.  So I'm glad we had that.  And I'm glad that I have a few more days alone to get things done before I have to go back to work.

This morning we went for breakfast by the sea and then a walk along the coast - but the wind was much colder than we'd expected and we were not adequately dressed for it, so we cut it short.  No one would ever believe we came from Alberta and regularly walked through winter winds at -30 Celsius.  We've gotten soft.

Now we have not much to do for the rest of the day (apart from the studying I ought to - and hope to- get to).  Shawn is preparing for J's arrival on Sunday, getting his bedroom and bathroom cleaned up and getting all our stuff out of what will be his space.  J has called a few times in the last couple of days, concerned about coming here, concerned about whether we're really ready and willing to have him move in.  I really think we are.  J is struggling with all the changes he's had to go through so abruptly: the end of his marriage, selling the house, losing the dogs to his ex-wife, leaving his job.... it's all been a lot for anyone to manage.  I hate for him to worry about being a burden on top of all that.  I really want him to be comfortable and happy here and hope we can make him feel that way.  



*




No comments: