Sunday, March 23, 2008

let me hear you say

I have been studying like a demon for several days now in preparation for my first quiz in Abnormal Psychology.  This first part of the course interesting so far, but there are parts that I found difficult to absorb as fast as I wanted to.  Like the history of psychology all over the world from ancient times to modern day.  In one chapter.  I also found it a bit confusing to keep separate in my mind all the different viewpoints that clinicians use (or have used in the past) in approaching treatment, particularly in light of the fact that most modern psychologists use an eclectic approach anyway.  So I studied and studied and studied, determined to get it all straight.  And then, when I was finished the unit, I realised that the quiz was an open book quiz anyway.  Amazing.  It only took about fifteen minutes to write it in spite of the allotment of an hour, this because I knew the information rather than needing time to look it up.  Being out of university for awhile has made me forget that much of the time students don't take courses in order to learn things, but rather just to get the credits needed to move on. 


*

It's Easter.  There's a big egg hunt planned for the kids at a nearby park - and it's pouring rain.  The plumber who installed our kitchen faucet said that it is a tradition here that it rains on the Easter egg hunt.  The puppies are not allowed to play outside and so far they haven't expressed any real disappointment although I think they do miss eating peanuts from beneath the bird feeder.  Speaking of which, it has occurred to me that the ground beneath the feeder is not only covered with spilled bird food, but also with bird poop.  And that means the puppies are NOT allowed to dine there anymore because I don't want them to get parasites.  Sharp of me to notice this, hmm, after several weeks?  Hah.  I hope they haven't already caught anything icky during the time I was half-asleep.

*

Today I'm going to write Quiz 1B for my course.  (Yesterday was part A.)  This second quiz covers the same material I've already studied so no further preparation is necessary.  Besides, now that I know how these things work I'm a lot less nervous about them.  

*

No comments: