Tuesday, July 31, 2007

i don't have to decide anything

Only a few more days until Shawn comes home for the long weekend. I want him home now.

I still can't quite believe that we're going to have to live in my in-laws' basement for a week when we first arrive. Living with the inlaws is the kind of thing you always think will never do under any circumstances no matter what. The same goes for living with parents. It's just not something you do when you're my age.

Yet, they're helping us out tremendously because the day we give up this house and the day we take the other house don't quite match up. If we didn't have their basement to live in we would have to pay for a hotel and find one that was welcoming of little doggies who like to chew things. So I'm trying to temper my horror with gratitude.

Meanwhile, there are Things I am supposed to be doing here in preparation for the move. Like sorting through my books and getting rid of everything I don't want or need anymore. Mostly, that will mean finally letting go of all my old university textbooks which are so outdated now that I can't imagine they'd be of much use to anybody. The same should be said of my clothes, both that I need to get rid of things I don't need or want anymore, and that they'd likely be of no use to anyone. No matter, I'll donate them all and let others decide what their value is. Sometimes I like other people's junk, so maybe someone would like mine too.

*

Yesterday I got almost exactly the message I've been wanting from C. The one that says she never stopped thinking of me as a friend and wants to spend time when we arrive in BC. I sniffled over it awhile and then wondered if she'd somehow been reading my blog. (C, are you here?) And then wrote back to say that I couldn't wait. It's true. I really have missed her. I really hope that it's possible to rekindle the old friendship - or to forge something even better and new.

*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We lived with Josh's parents for almost two years. There were five of us and a dog in a two bedroom apartment for awhile. I don't totally recommend it, but we survived.

mischief said...

Two years??? Wow, you are one brave girl.