Friday, July 06, 2007

colder than it looks outside

Shawn arrived safely, even though our old car had some trouble getting up through the highest parts of the Rockies. He said he had to turn on the heat at various points to keep the engine from overheating. I can only imagine how unpleasant that must have been, as it was 33°C yesterday.

*

This morning when I learned in conspiratorially to inquire of Puppy E as to whether or not he was hungry, he sprung straight up into the air in a leap of pure ecstasy, anticipating his bloody breakfast, and made direct sharp contact with my lip, splitting it open. I believe he meant to say, "Yes dear mother, thank you sweetly for asking. I could certainly enjoy a bite."


*

Shawn is going to look at houses this afternoon, and find out whether there's any chance of living in one of the houses I saw online that had quarter acres with them. I wish there were pictures of the inside of the houses - because I am nervous that they'll be outdated looking on the inside and Shawn won't see their potential. This way I am relying on his impressions instead of being able to form my own. Not only that, but he's looking at houses with his father who is notorious for wanting everything to be perfect with no appreciation for possibilities. I want to have more influence on the choosing of the future homestead than the father-in-law gets. So I'm glued to the phone for the afternoon, awaiting news and keeping my fingers crossed that the owners of one of those houses have done some fresh painting and a bit of modernization to make their house look pretty enough to appeal to Shawn's artistic senses. Unlike me, when he sees a fixer-upper home he counts hours of labour and dollars required, while I am excited about hanging around in coveralls for a few weeks. I love painting and doing (simple) renovations. Shawn hates it.

*

I think it's going to be hot again today. Yesterday was so hot it was hard to breathe upstairs. If it's that hot again tonight I think I will sleep on the couch downstairs instead of in the bedroom. I didn't fall asleep until after 3:00am and was abruptly woken by the phone ringing at 8:00. I thought Shawn was silly when he said he wanted air conditioning, but last night it would have been heavenly.

*










No comments: