Thursday, July 12, 2007

best in show


Crazy puppies. They've become quite well trained where it comes to using their "litter box", and now they're so well trained that when I take them for a walk outside they hold it until we get home and then race each other to the box. Lunatics. I hope they will learn when we get to the new house that going outside is preferable.

*

I lost my mind tonight and went shopping for interview clothes. It was preying on my mind. Shopping stresses me out. I don't like fancy clothes; I don't look right in them. I always look like a kid playing dress up and I can never find anything that I could be comfortable enough in to give a decent interview without pulling at my neckline or itching or squirming. And so the thought of needing to do this was bothering me until I finally just decided to go and get it over with.

Something was different this time when I shopped. Strange how that happens once in a blue moon. Most of the time I hate fashion and everything I see that's trendy and current and cool just looks like something I would never wear. (The last time I can remember being in fashion and liking what was in style was in the late nineties during the Seattle garage band grunge era, when wearing plaid workshirts and heavy boots was the thing to do.) But somehow tonight I wandered into a store that actually had clothing in it that fit me and was comfortable and which looked professional enough to wear to a job interview, so much so that I actually couldn't decide which of several items to purchase. Very strange.

It was probably because the store had marvelous air conditioning and it's five squillion degrees outside and in my house, so being in the store seemed pleasant by comparison.

At any rate, I found some interview clothes that I think I will still like tomorrow, and if so I'm going to go and have them hemmed. I am always too short for my pants. (I wonder why women's clothing stores don't alter clothes as part of the deal the way they so often do in men's stores.)

Shawn wants me to go through my clothes before we move and throw away all the jeans with holes in the knees and sweaters with the cuffs unraveling. I'm not sure that's something I can do, as these are the clothes I love most.

*

When shopping was done I came home and took the pups for a walk in the dark. Finally cool enough to step outside. Unfortunately the mosquitoes were in full agreement and feasted on our blood.

When we finally got home, two mosquitoes followed us in as well as a huge grasshopper. Yet another reason I miss Shawn - when I am forced to do battle with insects. The mosquitoes wouldn't have been so repulsive if they weren't filled with blood (who knows who it belonged to) that splattered on the floor and wall when I smacked them. And the grasshopper I pushed out the door with a big pad of paper that had mosquito guts on it. Shiver. Sometimes I think I'm an outdoorsy kind of girl, and then I realise that I'm not. No, what I am is a great big baby.


*














1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is so much ear in that photo. It is so cute I want to nibble it.