Saturday, July 14, 2007

Saturday again

This heat wave is deflating me. I'm shrinking and shrinking, melting into a puddle...

Little Puppy doesn't mind the heat. In fact I think she likes it. I haven't seen her shiver in many days and Little Puppy always shivers when her toes touch the kitchen floor. Lately the kitchen floor has been hot enough to fry eggs. Boy dogs don't really like the heat though. They try to play their puppyish games, chasing each other half-heartedly, and then end up flopping down on the floor with their tongues lolling out. Last night we all ate ice chips as a bedtime snack.

I have accomplished very little in the way of work in the last few days and though surely some of this is due to procrastination, I am also blaming the heat. I don't know how a person can think while they are boiling. And what I'm supposed to be working on right now actually requires me to think a little. I'm hoping to get some done this morning before it becomes to hot to breathe.

*

I am reading Alias Grace, by Margaret Atwood. Atwood, though hailed as a great Canadian author, received mixed reviews when you ask those Canadians who were forced to read her in high school. I frequently confuse her with Margaret Lawrence and counted myself among her un-fans until Jenny convinced me to give her another try. I read The Edible Woman and The Handmaid's Tale and agreed they were both very interesting.

On to Alias Grace. Historical fiction based on the life of Grace Marks, a Canadian scullery maid who was convicted of helping her lover to murder their employer in the 1840s. Much like in Lizzie Borden's case, the public had trouble believing a woman to be capable of such a ghoulish crime, and Marks was sentenced to imprisonment though her lover was sentenced to hang. Book reviewers compare Grace Marks to Karla Homolka, but thus far, Atwood has been more generous that that.

I didn't used to like boring things like historical fiction. I seem to be aging again.

*

My mother-in-law called me this morning just to say hello and ask how I was doing. She's struggling, I think, with knowing that we are moving further away from her and closer to Shawn's father. These two years we've spent living out here in the prairies have allowed us more time to spend with Shawn's mother and to get to know her partner too. We're going to miss them when we're gone.

*



No comments: