Thursday, January 03, 2008

of which I'll share with you

The Demolition Phase is done, at last, and we broke the drywall into small pieces for the garbage and took all the scrap wood outside to the yard where, I believe, it will make nice firewood for the outdoor fire pit in the summer.  I swept and vacuumed the floors which I hope will go a long way to reduce the amount of drywall dust floating through the house.  However, the film of white chalk still coats everything, including us if we stay still very long, and I think it may take the greater part of Forever to get rid of it all.

We went shopping for under-counter lighting (called "pucks"!) as well as a new kitchen sink.  The pucks are black, and so is the sink, a material they called "anthracite" in the store, but which I think must actually be a composite of anthracite and other materials, because when I told my father (the geologist) that our new sink is made of anthracite, he said, "But anthracite is coal.".  In any case, the fact that the new sink is black pleases me because, in theory, it won't require so much polishing to make it look the way it's supposed to.  It's not even a shiny black like a porcelain sink; it's a flat black.  So I hope my theories about flat black sinks hold true.

Next week, the Installation Phase of the kitchen project will begin, and this phase is much less our responsibility than Demolition has been.  So it should, therefore, be less exhausting.  And seeing things being built is always more fun than seeing things being taken apart.

We found some nice people who want our old cabinets for their house, which was also pleasant.  I hate to waste things like that, and I have no desire to try and collect money for things we don't want, so finding someone who can use them and likes them was good. 

The holiday feels like it's winding down now and there are only a few days left before the Return to Reality.  Holidays always go by so quickly.


*

No comments: