Tuesday, September 04, 2007

you are stupid and you have big eyes

One day down, and a hundred and ninety-nine to go. Or something like that. This semester looks good as far as schedule. I get a prep block every day for an hour and twenty minutes, which is wayyy better than I got at my last school. I get no prep next semester (assuming I'm still employed) to make up for it, but by then I'm thinking I'll be less in a position to need it having settled in a bit.

Several kids came by to introduce themselves today which was nice, in spite of the fact that some seem disappointed that their previous teacher is gone. In many ways it's much easier to take over for a terrible teacher because kids are happy to see them gone. Regardless, I plan to be loved by semester break.

C sent me an email today that began, "Dear Lisa, You are stupid and you have big eyes." I was thrilled. This is something she and K used to say to me back in the days when we went to The Ship every Friday night and drank ridiculous quantities of beer. I still haven't managed to connect with C since arriving here, not even by phone, but I hope to soon.

Tomorrow will be the first real teaching day and I am nervous, just as though I was one of the kids. Maybe they're less nervous than I am, in fact. It's highly possible.



*

No comments: