Saturday, September 29, 2007

my direct line

The cast list went up and I hid in my office. One girl sought me out to hug me and thank me, another to ask disbelievingly if she'd really not been cast (ouch), and other boy came to tell me he was delighted that I'd cast him in a part that required him to dress as a woman because he enjoyed women's clothing. I smiled benignly which I think wasn't what he was hoping for because he said it again, perhaps to be sure I'd understood what he was sharing with me. I smiled and nodded again. Drama kids... they like to share. It's what I love about them but sometimes I long for a line. Rehearsals start Tuesday. Goodbye freedom!

*

This morning Shawn took the Element for an oil change (much needed) and though I would have preferred to tag along (because the dealership is near the sea) I am stuck here waiting for a man to come and pick up our leaky washing machine and replace it with another. When it comes to things like that I am relieved that we chose to get our appliances where we did because there has been no problem getting them replaced when they've been defective though of course it would have been better if they'd worked properly in the first place. The annoying part is that the person picking up the washer is supposed to be here some time between 8am and 5pm which might mean being stuck here all day long.

Shawn will be home soon, though, and we have other things going on today too. The kitchen designer is coming to take some measurements and a plumber is coming to hook up our dishwasher (allegedly, because he has cancelled a couple of times). So we'd be home anyway at least for part of the day. And... it's drizzly outside.


*

Last night Shawn's Dad came over to watch movies with us because his wife was out. He and Shawn were watching the Battlestar Galactica series together before I arrived in BC - and for some ridiculous reason they felt that I needed to watch all the old episodes in order to catch up with them so we could all continue watching the series together. The problem is that I couldn't care less about Battlestar Galactica and so I've not been doing my homework and that has stalled them. I've explained repeatedly that I'm not really interested in Battlestar Galactica and that they should just go ahead and continue watching it without me. They refuse to listen. They both feel that it's such a good series that it's stupid for me to miss out and so they've stubbornly been waiting while feeling irritated with me for not catching up.

Last night I got railroaded into watching the first one - which was actually a three hour movie and not an "episode" after all. It was a silly way to spend the evening. I was only watching half-interestedly while playing with puppies and thinking about work and Shawn and his Dad were bored too because they'd already seen it. So none of us was having fun and yet they doggedly carried on. In the end I never even finished watching it because Shawn's Dad went home and I went to bed.

The thing that Shawn and his Dad are having trouble accepting about me is that I don't really care much for Science Fiction. Even with a great storyline and characters and all the rest, it's just not my thing. I can appreciate it enough to sit through it and even stay awake most of the time, but I just don't get excited about it. It doesn't really interest me. Why won't they believe me and leave me alone? I don't force them to watch Broken Flowers.


*

No comments: