Saturday, September 15, 2007

no time like the present

This afternoon I took the Skytrain downtown and then a bus to C's house. I met her beautiful little daughter - who looks exactly like A - and then we went for lunch, leaving the little one home with her dad. I was really glad I decided to take the train instead of driving because the traffic looked crazy downtown and I think it would have been stressful to try and find my way around there.

It was sort of sad seeing where C and A live now. It isn't really the where, though, so much as the how. I think it's because of A's alcoholism and C's difficulties with depression that their home is so disheveled and dirty, and I think that when you live that way for a long time you forget what it looks like in a place that is reasonably clean. Her apartment, when we were close, was always unbelievably cluttered - but there used to be a certain amount of house-pride ... I didn't see that anymore and it troubled me a little.

Nonetheless, apart from feeling a bit dismayed at the condition of their home, after we left there and went walking downtown and had some lunch, the rest of the day was quite nice. It was really good to catch up and hear about all the new things that had happened. It was, quite quickly, as though no time had passed. It's funny how that can happen with certain people when you've been very close.

Now we're going to inlaws' for dinner and movies so I've no more time to impart any further details of the day.


*

No comments: