Monday, September 01, 2008

Every now and then the things I lean on lose their meaning

Last day of holidays. Little J is nervous about school - wondering who her teacher will be, who her friends will be, whether she'll fit in... It's funny how when kids reach that age they'd really love someone to hold their hand and go with them. Simultaneously they're way too old for such baby things and want you to hide around the block so no one makes the mistake of thinking they have a parent (or an auntie) anywhere in this city. I'm sure she'll be fine, but there's part of me that's nervous on her behalf. I want things to be easy for her. She deserves to have some things easy after living so many hard years.


*

And as for me, school also starts for me tomorrow. The kids will only be in the building for a couple of hours to collect lockers and class schedules, but the staff is supposed to be there all day. Mostly because of various staff meetings. I'm not looking forward to that, particularly, but part of me is looking forward to being back on a normal schedule and getting underway with this half-time job so I can figure out how it works. And if it's going to last.


*

No comments: