Saturday, September 27, 2008

set on you

I've been reading on an addiction/recovery forum, attempting to get some idea of what might be going through C's mind. Trying to understand why she's behaving the way she is. I haven't found any answers, but I found this, which I like enormously,


"My personal feeling is that Bill W's 12 step Spirituality is an off-shoot of E. Fox's and others work in the early 20th century. "Spiritualism", Emmet's word not mine, seems to be a recognized theist (religious) doctrine. At least by the IRS.

Although I don't believe in DAT (Drinking and Typing), I do share a similar feeling of perhaps "thinly veiled lip service" with regard to an monotheistic, omni-benificent God of Abraham vs. a monotheistic, omni-benificent Higher Power. Heck, if it quacks (prays) like a duck, walks (meditates) like a duck...

Here's my problem. I tend to have far fewer stem burns, track marks, open sores, DUI's, judges, lawyers, county time, hard time, depression, skull blinding fear and anxiety when I hang around these stupid rooms full of God-Tards. I hope the mod doesn't censor that, then I'll get a resentment.

During the closing prayer, while politely giving lip service to fit in, I surreptitiously check out the ladies.

Oh, like I'm the only one!"



This was posted in response to a question about whether finding a higher power is necessary for recovery. I haven't quite figured out what it means but it makes me smile every time I read it, and I've read it many times over the last few weeks. I think it may become my new mantra.



*

No comments: