Thursday, September 04, 2008

with with with

This morning my principal told me that the other teacher with whom I was supposed to be sharing the job had a heart attack. He has had heart problems for a long time and it sounds as though the stress and pressure of possibly returning to work really pushed him over the edge. Poor thing, I feel very sorry for him. He's a young man (only mid-forties) and has small children. While his situation is unfortunate, from a financial perspective he will be alright because he'll continue to collect medical benefits. And I now have a full time contract for this semester. Come February, it will be the same situation all over again where he can return, if he's well enough, and bump me out of a job, but the more time that goes by, the less likely this seems.


*

Shawn has been offered a new job working in the film industry. The money is amazing and the contract is for a full year, after which he could renew (if work is available) or just take some time off until the next contract comes up. It sounds amazing. He's gone downtown to meet with the guys who offered him the work so I'm hanging around here on pins and needles waiting to find out what he decides.


*

Little J seems to be settling in to school very well. Her teacher moved her desk so she could sit next to her new friend, and the stories I am hearing about this teacher make me think she's fabulous. She is taking her students climbing at the university climbing wall and Little J, who is generally terrified of heights, has suddenly informed me that the best way to conquer one's fears is to confront them. How does she know this? Because her teacher told her so. Hallelujah, amen. I think I love this teacher. After school today Little J told me she wants to start working out with me and spent a half hour on the machines with me getting a good work out.

I spoke with C again this evening and she has suddenly returned to her rational self once again. I find these about faces frightening and never know who I'll end up speaking with when I pick up the phone, Jekyl or Hyde. We are proceeding with tracking down our legal rights and finding out what can be done from a legal perspective to protect Little J from going back to living the life she had before. I feel guilty, in a way, about pursuing legal action when C is acting sane and reasonable, but I've learned that she cannot be depended upon to keep doing so for any real length of time and so it's necessary to proceed assuming she will return to irrationality in the near future.


*

No comments: