Monday, September 15, 2008

my good friend

We did our first hooky of the school year today, but this time it had to be more clandestine than usual because of Little J. Because she has such a terrible attendance record it has been important to impress upon her the fact that we attend school EVERY DAY unless there is something seriously wrong. She isn't really old enough to understand that the fact that Shawn and I play hooky about three times a year is not the same as skipping school whenever one feels like it, so we just didn't tell her. We got her off to school the usual way as though we were heading to school/work too, and then snuck back home. It was a good day to miss school because my eyes are still kind of swollen and the puffiness causes shadows to fall underneath so I look a bit like I have two black eyes. Very attractive indeed, and it's always a pleasure to appear looking peculiar before curious and tactless fourteen year olds... but I decided I'd miss out on the interrogation. It's been a nice day.

*

Little J came home a little bit glum today and hasn't really explained what's going on with her. Sometimes I think we're a bit paranoid because of all she's going through. It certainly could be that she's just experiencing normal pre-adolescent mood swings. Bu it does, of course, concern me. Tonight after supper I am going to take her out for a doughnut or something and see if she'll open up a bit.

*

No comments: