Sunday, September 28, 2008

it falls apart in little pieces on the floor

Last night while Little J was visiting C, we had the inlaws over for dinner. We drank wine and played Rock Band and acted like kids. Because the kid was gone. :)

This morning we went to their place for waffles (yum) and now Little J and I are about to head downtown to go to an Arts Festival that's all about writing. We are meeting up with an old friend of mine and her daughter (who is 2) to stroll around and gather up some culture. I'm glad I still have people in my life who care about things like this because I feel like I've grown complacent sometimes. I always love these events when I'm actually there, but I have trouble convincing myself to go anywhere when I'm just so cozy and comfortable in my own home. I guess this means I really love my house (which I do) and that's a good thing. But I generally feel more satisfied with Life when I participate in Things. So I'm glad to have a friend who will push me to do these kinds of things, because I want to.

C has been a nuisance (surprise) because she made some plans with Little J to see her today. Of course she didn't ask us if that was okay or if we had anything going on. She just assumed that we would drive Little J over to see her and pick her up on her schedule. We, of course, do have plans. And since C hasn't called to confirm anything with me I've no idea if we're actually going to be able to accommodate her or not. And certainly, if we don't, Little J will be left to feel that we are depriving her of something.

I used to have a different relationship with Little J. When I was just her Aunt, I got to spoil her and have fun with her and lavish her with attention. Now that I am responsible for actually bringing her up, I have to make sure she does homework and cleans up her bedroom and eats her vegetables. It's a big change. The funny thing is that when she goes to see her mother, her mother smothers her in treats and acts like an aunt. So now going to see her mother is the fun thing and life here is no longer novel. I'm aggravated by the fact that we are spending literally thousands of dollars to provide Little J with the life she should have had all along which C was too messed up to provide... and still somehow come out of the deal looking like villains.



*

No comments: