Monday, October 01, 2007

committed sardines

My professional day was interesting. The morning involved a discussion of our digital age kids and how differently they learn than kids did in my generation. The presenter said he would "agitate" rather than "educate" us, and I have to admit I felt somewhat agitated by the end of it to realise that when I am struggling to engage the minds of teenagers I am in competition with the digital world that can prompt them to make decisions every 1.5-3 seconds and reward/consequence them for those decisions every 5 seconds. How can I compete with that?

He said that the teenager of today has a differently operating brain that teenagers did twenty years ago, because the digital age has actually affected and altered brain development. The whole thing was very interesting. I would argue that teenagers today are the same in the most fundamental ways, however, as I was back then and as teenagers probably were fifty years ago. I don't believe that the basic emotional/ social needs have changed. The media through which fulfillment is sought may change, but not the need itself.


*

In the afternoon I met with the guidance counselor to talk about some of the kids who need a little extra love and I was unsurprised so see several of my students that I cast in the play. Typical needy Drama kids. Hee.


*

I don't especially feel ready to face the week but it's coming at me whether or not I'm ready, so I'm holding on tight and hoping I haven't forgotten anything too important.


*

No comments: