Friday, October 05, 2007

still i wish you'd change your mind if i asked you one more time

This afternoon I'd planned to have the grade twelves watch a movie, partly because it's a film version of a play they're working on, but also in part because I didn't want to talk to them, didn't want to interact with them, and just generally didn't feel like having anything to do with them. It was a good time for a movie.

They were having none of that. When we started the class, my warm up intro was on sharing something no one knows... and once that began they didn't want to stop talking. Instead of wrangling them I decided to just let them go and see where it went. As the conversation went on a couple of kids asked if they could teach us some games, so I let them do that too and before long the class was over.

During the games I tried to distance myself from feeling sulky about what happened yesterday and tried to be more objective in assessing what's really going on in that class. I watched them carefully for signs of what they were thinking, and my rational brain (which was turned off yesterday afternoon when I became somewhat convinced that everyone hated me) couldn't really detect anything out of the ordinary.

So. Maybe it's not as bad as I thought it was. Maybe it's just that one girl (and her guy friend). Maybe that's it. And maybe it'll blow over now that I've talked to them both. I do hope so. I'm not going to give up on making this work.

*

Last night a guy came to our house to assess our security and make a plan to install an alarm system. He seemed quite perplexed when we told him our first concern and priority was the safety of our animals rather than the safety of the television set.

*

No comments: