Monday, October 08, 2007

moderation

This afternoon Shawn and I went to get groceries, and after we'd loaded them in the back of the vehicle together, he startled me by taking me by the hand and "putting" me in the front seat and doing up my seatbelt for me. I saw a woman watching us but I didn't care. The giggles came out like fizzy pop.

*

When I was a little girl my Dad poured my juice and said, "Say when". And then he would pour very slowly so I could say exactly when it was the right amount. But sometimes I didn't say "when" because I wanted to see if he would keep pouring the juice until it overflowed onto the table and ran down the legs onto the floor until the entire container was empty. I always imagined it but he never did that. When I didn't say "when" he would say it for me before it spilled.

Saying when is a skill some people have and some don't. Knowing exactly how much you want - or knowing exactly how much you should have. It's not one of my strengths. I don't usually know how much I want of anything; I tend to overestimate. And sometimes I just want more because it's there. And so, metaphorically speaking, my cup runneth over, in my case, may actually indicate poor judgment and the inability to say when.


*

1 comment:

Brat said...

Where are you silly girl..I miss you