Friday, October 12, 2007

trouble me

Hello Weekend! I'm glad you're here. Come in, relax. Stay as long as you can.

*

Tomorrow I think I am going to go for brunch with C and her little girl. Weekends are never long enough to do fun things as well as all the things that I am supposed to do. So I'm doing the fun things first to make sure they all get done. :)


*

Today I covered a class for another teacher, the other guy who teaches one Drama class during my free block. I don't know, exactly, what was going on, but he came into my office to use the phone and then, after I left to give him some privacy, he came bolting out and said he had to go right away. I hope it's nothing too serious.

*

GDJ is pitching me as a writer for another contract they're bidding on. Apparently I am supposed to talk with the client on the phone on Monday morning. I find this nerve wracking as I do not want to be responsible for whether or not the company gets this job. I am also a little concerned that I'll be biting off more than I can chew, attempting to do two full jobs at once. Of course, the writing job never really takes anything near full time hours, but I also know that I don't want to be one of those people that dies wishing they'd spent more time enjoying life and less time working. It's just I still don't know exactly who I want to be when I grow up.

GDJ also said he wants to hire Shawn to do some side work. Shawn's not sure he wants it and I don't really blame him. He works differently than I do and so he wouldn't be able to do things as fast as I do. Shawn is a perfectionist and will not hand in work until it is absolutely flawless. I just sit down and take a fast run at it and hope it'll be good enough. I have a feeling this means that Shawn takes more pride in his work than do.


*

Today I spoke with one of the other teachers on staff about the difficulty I've been having with my unpleasant grade twelve girl, and this teacher told me that she had had an almost identical experience with this girl the year before. I feel less special now knowing that I am not the only person she has taken an interest in hurting. She also advised me to ignore it completely which is exactly what I've been doing, and at least I feel better knowing that I have other staff members out there who I can talk to about this. The teacher even mentioned how she'd have stomach pangs when she knew the class that girl was in was coming soon because of the way she'd turned them against her. Wow, it was all so familiar. The only bad thing to come out of the conversation was the fact that apparently this girl's mother supports her 100% without listening to the other side of the story. At least now I know I'm not alone in this experience; I'm so glad I said something.


*




No comments: