Monday, May 26, 2008

lost souls can't swim

Last night I tried to complete a "skills assignment" for my Masters class to demonstrate that I had learned some specific skills for interviewing clients.  The requirement was that I should film myself interviewing someone on a subject requiring some sort of resolution for 10-15 minutes, using specific questioning styles that had been taught by the course.  The questions had to be used in specific sequences and patterns but be formulated to fit the topic being discussed.

So I interviewed Shawn about the fact that he and "his wife" are trying to decide at what point in their lives "they" should consider the possibility of having a baby.  I thought it wouldn't be very difficult since I know Shawn so well and would be able to predict his answers.  However I was completely wrong.  It was NOT easy.  

Trying to come up with an appropriate balance between "declarative probes" and "open ended questions" that "seek for affect" or "seek for meaning" (intentionally) while simultaneously listening to Shawn's comments and keeping track of how many summarizing statements I had made proved to be quite daunting.  Added to those factors was the problem that both of us felt awkward and nervous about having this conversation on camera.

After filming it about ten times and never being properly satisfied that I had done a good enough job of it to earn the mark I want, I gave up.  I've decided instead to write a script for both of us and to audiotape the discussion instead.  It will be more work that way than our improvised discussions were, but I think I'll do a better job of hitting the targets this way.  

I am planning to play hooky from school on Wednesday (Tuesday night is sailing class) and that will be a good day to try and get this done.

*

After the staff meeting this afternoon we had a scholarship meeting to decide which students were most deserving of the Fine Arts scholarship monies.  I fought for my Drama candidate in spite of her poorly written application and in the end, she was selected as one of the winners.  I feel good about that knowing how passionate she is about theatre and taking into account all th work she has done for the program this year.  I know she will be excited and that the money will be of great help to her.

*




No comments: