Friday, May 02, 2008

added on to the one

The truth is that upon reflection I am still angry with P for going into the theatre without permission and touching things.  I haven't dealt with this properly.  I've been too careful about being "nice" and not hurting his feelings and I really shouldn't have been quite so gentle.  I am going to send him another email, I think, telling him at the very least that he must never do anything like this again and that I will not be using his services in the future either.  I think I need to find someone else to help me, someone I can trust.  If I can get that off my chest I think I will feel a little less angry.

*

Today's workshop was interesting but went on too long for my brain to stay alert and focused the entire time.  After lunch I was feeling a little bit like I wanted an afternoon nap.

*

I talked to my parents last night for a long time.  Things are coming to a crucial point with C and J and I am frightened about what this will mean for all of us in the future.  I miss it when I was a kid and I didn't really know much about what was going on and was still naive enough to believe that nothing really bad could happen to us.

*

My second quiz in the difficult course came back with a mark of 93%.  I would have been happy with this mark except for the fact that the feedback provided didn't jibe with the mark.  On one question, the professor wrote that the format (a table) of the online testing situation didn't translate well so he was just going to "assume" I did it right (as opposed to getting a copy of the questions himself and checking).

First of all, for the tuition I'm paying for this class, I expect a little more concern than someone making an assumption rather than making certain.  And secondly, the mark he assigned this question was 90%.  So if he was assuming it was right, why was I losing 10%?

These are the kinds of questions that I'd love to ask and which would not benefit me if I did.  I have been both a teacher and a student long enough to know that criticizing the teacher generally doesn't work in a student's favour.  Though he might sigh inwardly and get a copy of the quiz to "make sure" my answers were right, or might grudgingly provide some explanation as to why I lost 10% of my mark on that question, he would also quite likely be irritated with me.  And having him irritated with me over a quiz worth 5% is a bad strategy when I haven't yet turned in major projects and term papers.

So there you go.  Teachers are jerks.  :)

*

No comments: