Monday, February 04, 2008

kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight

The new semester is officially underway and the new kids seem nice so far.  Hard to tell this early on, but I was encouraged to see them being nice to each other for the most part, because it's always so hard (and exhausting) to deprogram people who believe that they have to be mean to each other to be cool.  It's already time for me to start thinking a little more seriously about what I want to offer this semester in terms of a Drama production.

I'm reluctant to undertake anything that will prevent me from leaving the school at a reasonable time at the end of the day.  It was so tiring being there late every day throughout the rehearsals last semester and then fourteen hour days during the shows.  The kids, of course, do not understand this and have been nagging at me to get going on another show.  It's different for them because when they are involved in a play they are getting to spend extra time with their friends.  When I am involved, I am being kept apart from mine.  It's also different because they are young and filled with youthful energy, and I am a crabby old bat.

I'm wondering if I could put up a few one act plays and cram the rehearsals into some lunch breaks so I could still go home at the end of the day.  It would mean no break throughout the duration of the day - but it would mean getting home sooner.  Much to think about.


*

We did end up making it to the gym tonight, and that was nothing short of a miracle because I was feeling lazy and tired and Shawn came home half an hour later than usual.  If he had said, "Let's skip it tonight," I would have been all over that plan, but he wanted to go.  By the time we got there it was 8:30... but we actually did it.  Amazing.  Now that I'm exercised and showered and feeling virtuous, I'm glad we did it.

*

I'm reading (trying to read) One Hundred Years of Solitude, and for some reason, I just can't can't get into it.  I hate it when a book eludes me in this manner, especially one which is touted as being spectacular.  Why isn't it grabbing me?  I'm going to stick with it a few more nights and see if I can find a way in.  This is the third time I've started this book.


*

I got to spend time today with a friend I have missed.  

*



No comments: