Friday, February 15, 2008

if you are confused check with the sun

Yay for Friday.  It's my favourite day, when the whole weekend still lies ahead, no part yet wasted.  My book club book arrived today (Three Cups of Tea) and I celebrated its arrival by forgetting it on my desk at school, which means that this weekend I will read, instead, my psychology textbook.  A Hundred Years of Solitude has slowly disappeared beneath the bed and will probably spend a hundred years in solitude under there.  I give up.  Again.  (This is only temporary, I want to believe.)  B also lent me Middlesex, which she says she enjoyed; I don't know B well enough to know if I will like the same things she does, but the fact that she didn't like The Kiterunner or A Thousand Splendid Suns doesn't bode well.  

I've finished the first two chapters of the textbook and I hope that by the time the course officially starts, I'll be ready to write some of the tests.  

*

There are a lot of things that Should Be Done this weekend, like laundry and dishes (damn my kitchenlessness to hell) and grocery shopping.  And things that I want to do too, like going back to the gallery to look at stone bears (if I can convince Shawn to come with me) and going walking by the sea if the rain lets up.  

The weather has been strangely springlike the last few days, and there's a prickly bushy thing in the back yard that has begun to blossom with tiny purple flowers.  Where am I?  Things blossom in February here?  I've also noticed that it's not nearly so dark at 6:00 as it used to be a short while ago.  All in all, it feels like May back on the prairies.  I still can't believe this is where we live.

*

My parents phoned earlier this week to wish Shawn a belated happy birthday, ashamed that they'd somehow forgotten to call at the right time.  Shawn, being the sort of guy he is, really wasn't bothered when they didn't call, but enjoyed teasing them about it afterward.  I like that he gets along with them so well; I'm feeling rather resolved not to go visiting without him ever again.

They have plans to come here in the summer to visit us as well as some other friends of theirs who live on the coast.  By summer we should have completed our sailing course and be ready to take them out sailing for a day.  Sometimes Shawn gets wistful and dreams aloud of buying a big sailboat to live on in our retirement.

*




No comments: