Sunday, November 11, 2007

you think we're here to play the game of who loves more than who


Thursday I followed the school buses up to the camp and spent the whole day there. I left just after dinner and went to work on Friday. Then I got up early on Saturday morning and drove back to the camp to spend that day with the kids too. The drive on Saturday morning was gorgeous; I was in the heart of the Rockies as the sun rose and landed at camp just as they were serving breakfast. I still have trouble believing, at times, that I live in this astonishing place.

The camp was beautiful and the kids were really great too. Each school in the city had brought their five (or so) best drama students, so the whole place was just busting with creative energy. To be honest, I enjoyed other teachers' kids more than I enjoyed my own - but I'm trying to remind myself that their lack of trust has to do with the fact that they've had a new teacher every year for five years, and not much to do with me.

I also enjoyed spending time with the other teachers and realised that if, at the end of this year, I end up being forced to move schools, it could be a good thing after all. Of course sameness is always more comfortable, but it sounds like there are a lot of other good options out there if it doesn't happen to work out that way. PL, the president of the association, said his partner teacher is retiring in the near future - and told me to come and meet his administrative team. The idea of having a teaching partner to work with instead of being all alone is rather appealing. If only I could find someone I liked working with and shared a vision with. I don't know PL well enough to know if he could be that person, but I liked the idea that it was possible. And that there were other options available.



*

No comments: