Tuesday, November 27, 2007

take me with you

Winter is mild here and this mildness of weather seems to bring with it a new mildness of spirit that I am unaccustomed to experiencing at this time of year. I found winter difficult, painfully so sometimes, at home. The skeleton trees and the stark white of the snow and ice, the wind, god the wind. Coupled with the darkness, sometimes winter was nearly impossible.

There are ways to make the best of things, like gingerbread lattes and Christmas lights and warm fireplaces... but in the end, I don't believe I'm going to miss the harshness of winter on the prairies. Here, by the sea, winter is different. It's fresh, there's a snap in the air and some frost in the mornings, but it warms up enough to melt during the day. There is no wind that blows through the fabric of my coat like I'm naked. My eyelashes don't freeze together.

And this makes me feel different about the changing seasons, as though there's something to look forward to in every season here instead of dreading the abrupt change from one extreme to another with only a few weeks to brace oneself in between. I think what I'm saying is that I like it here.

(I booked my flights home for Christmas.)

No comments: