Sunday, November 04, 2007






In the old place, I shovelled snow from October through April most years. Here, the challenge will be leaves. I don't really think I could be any happier about that. I love the leaves. I love yard work. Shovelling snow was something that had to be done in order to keep mailmen and flyer carriers from breaking their necks on our property, but raking leaves is a choice. And it's a choice I make happily.


The purply-red tree in the back yard has finished doing its thing, and now the yellow tree is at it, as well as a different red tree in the front. It's gotten cool enough now that the pups need to wear sweaters when they come outside to help me, cool enough that I'm wearing a toque. But the grass is still green green green. And I am told it will be all year long. I'm still amazed by that idea.

I'm delighted by the leaves here, and by the whole season. In Alberta, summer usually fades out into winter in a matter of a couple of weeks, so fast it's over before you really realise it's begun. And the leaves are all yellow because the trees are all poplars. Poplars grow well and survive the harsh winters and so every neighbourhood is busting with them and not much else. Here, every tree has changed in a different way, unexpectedly brilliant colours, and I'm completely thrilled by them. It's the way I always wanted autumn to feel.


*

No comments: