Wednesday, November 07, 2007

nothing and like it

My goal to take and post at least one picture every day is more work than I realised. It requires more thought than I sometimes care to extend myself to doing. So no picture today. I got nothing. But tomorrow (or maybe Friday) bodes well. I am going on a field trip tomorrow to a healing house for a camp with five of my students, and I anticipate beautiful grounds that will want their picture taken.

Because I am a miserable cuss I rejected the initial plan, which was that I was supposed to spend the night at the camp with the kids both tomorrow night and Friday night and come home with them on Saturday. I didn't want to spend the night with them, and I didn't want to spend a night away from my family. I'm gotten mighty fussy in my crotchety old age.

So I arranged to go with them tomorrow just for the day, drive home in the evening, have them mommied by someone else for Friday and then drive back up to be with them again on Saturday. It's not ideal, especially since it's a long drive, but I prefer it to the other alternative.

*

I think I might need to go to the doctor, but I'm not sure. Last week I hurt myself. I was at school for parent teacher interviews, and at the end of the evening I walked into my classroom to grab my coat. The lights were off and like a dummy, I stroke confidently (and quickly) across the room, thinking my path was clear, forgetting about the giant wooden drama box in my way. I cracked my shin and my knee really hard. Because it all happened so fast I'm not sure how I managed to hurt both, but I think I hit my shin on the box and then my knee on the floor when I fell. In any case, both turned all kinds of colours for several days. The knee seems much better, but my shin seems to be getting worse instead. The bruises are blossoming all over my leg and each time one part fades another part blooms into purple and blue colours, all the way from the shin to my foot. And the part where I struck the box is still swollen like I have a second knee. I showed it to the sports medicine teacher at my school and he says he thinks it might be a hairline fracture. (When Shawn said that to me last week, of course, I told him it couldn't be a fracture because I could walk on it. Hee.) So now I'm not sure if I should bother getting it seen to, or what. If it is a hairline fracture, what can they do for me? I really don't want crutches or any such cumbersome nonsense, but neither do I want my leg to turn gangrenous and fall off, or to become hideously deformed and crooked. I'm still in the mode where I'm hoping it will get better and the problem will be solved on its own without me having to do anything about it.

*

Today was "Bring Your Kid To Work Day", and I brought two kids to work. They aren't mine, but they didn't have any parents interested in bringing them to work, so we pretended.

*

1 comment:

Brat said...

Must be in the air...I broke my foot Monday. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. And of course I am rebelling against the doctor's orders to use cumbersome crutches. I hobble pretty well and the cane works ok when i have to venture out. Of course the narcotics help too.

I miss you