Sunday, November 11, 2007

one fish two fish


This is a painting that I started working on last week and then gave up when the middle fish refused to cooperate. I painted him in, then painted him out. And now he's a murky glimmer at the bottom of the pond who will neither surface nor swim away.

It's not a good painting. In addition to the middle fish refusing to look like a fish, the other two don't look quite right either. And the lily pads aren't very lilyish.

Basically, I never even try to paint anything that's real because I am not talented enough to reproduce things in ways that look very realistic, so instead, I try to do this stylized thing where they're recognizable, but not real looking. It's supposed to let me off the hook. But for some reason, where it comes to fish, it's not working. I asked Shawn to fix it for me and he said no. He wants me to fix it myself. Don't think that's going to happen.

Maybe Ivy can fix it.


*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have exceeded my talents, darling. If I were going to "fix" it, I'd just paint the ghosty fish right back in, because he looks fine to me. Make him spotted!

But they needs eyes! Eyes, I tell you!