Saturday, May 12, 2007

with added glucosamine and chondroitin

The men who delivered our bed frame brought it in several large pieces. I suppose there was no other way, it being too large to fit through the doors once assembled, not to mention too heavy to lift. The problem was that when they cut through the tape and were faced with all those pieces, bolts, pegs, and washers, they were stymied. And no instructions. How could that be? I wonder how a furniture store can possibly send out their delivery guys without instructions for building the furniture they are responsible to put together.

They puzzled over it awhile. They called their manager, who kindly emailed me a photograph of the assembled bed for them to look at (it was useless) and then finally had to tell me that they didn't know what to do. Meanwhile, I had provided them with ice water, the use of my computer, given one of them a pair of coconut shell earrings that hurt my ears but he seemed enchanted by when he spotted them on my dresser, and a decent tip. They smelled terrible but they were nice men.

Shawn arrived as they were leaving and we built the bed together. It took nearly three hours. With instructions I feel certain it would have taken half an hour. In all its fully built glory, I love the bed in my house just as much (maybe more) than I loved it in the furniture showroom, and now I feel inspired make the bed once in awhile. Maybe.

*


No comments: