Thursday, May 10, 2007

My feet is my only carriage/ so I've got to push on through

Tonight Shawn got a phone call from a global recruiter who wanted to talk to him about potential for working in Vancouver. There are a lot of companies in Vancouver that do what he does. It was a strange experience listening to him talk, explaining what he does currently and explaining where he would like his career to go. It was interesting because it showed me more of the man I have chosen to spend my life with, more of him that I simply don't know very well.

When he talks about what he does and what he wants to do, I don't really understand him. It's almost like I'm listening to a language being spoken that I don't know very well. I pick up the simple joining words but big concepts are missing from my vocabulary.

Likewise, listening to him negotiate about salary was fascinating because I have never seen him in a situation like this. He didn't barter. He just said he was an honest person asking for a fair salary and that he expected the kind of company that he would work for would want to respond with an honest offer. And the fact that he could say something like that without seeming naive was really rather awe-inspiring. The world doesn't teem with men like my husband, but it really should.

I'm feeling ambivalence about the idea of moving as our new house is getting closer to being finished. I was looking forward to living in that house. And yet, I like the idea of living somewhere that isn't buried in snow seven months a year, too.

*

The furniture store called today with a "time window" to let us know when our new bedframe (finally!) would be delivered. Strangely enough, the automated voice announced that the frame would be delivered at.... and then it repeated my address. Peculiar. I phoned back to speak to real person who said the window was between 3:00 and 7:00 which made a little more sense. I look forward to seeing if we like our bed as much as we thought we would.

*

It looks as though the school I've been teaching at two days a week is going to offer something full time for next school year. I'm feeling hesitant about that. Even with the future more certain in terms of location, I'm not convinced I want to be at this school any more time than I already am. It's a difficult place to be and I'm not sure it's what I want. Some changes are refreshing and some are exhausting and some are both. This has been some of each.

*




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"time windows" were a terrible invention.

I feel no ambivalence, only total and complete selfish motive, in wanting you to move to Vancouver. My thoughts ain't always pretty. ;) That said, I understand as well as anyone how stressful a cross-country move can be. I hope that, whatever happens, all points converge in happiness.

mischief said...

I feel ambivalence. But. But living near you would be fun. You'd be my first internet friend who turned out to be a real live person. And I would insist upon you eating a corn dog. Insist.

Anonymous said...

I feel a great deal of ambivalence about corn dogs.

I was just thinking about it the other day, and it occurs to me that I've met most of the people I've forged friendships with online. It's because I'm part feline. My curiosity insists on seeing the full picture.

Miaow!

mischief said...

Not only more curious, but clearly more trusting and less apt to startle than am I.

If I come to Seattle to visit you, will you take me to the Experience Music Project? I went there in 2002 and I LOVED it. I want to see it again and again.

Also, I want to eat fish and chips along the harbour and shop for shoes. If you can promise me these, I won't push you on the corn dog.

To be honest I don't think I've ever eaten a corn dog in my whole life. I'm not even keen on hot dogs, and the idea of a hot dog dipped in greasy batter makes my stomach queasy. And yet their comedic value cannot be denied. Corn dogs are hilarious.

Never mind, it's not your job to entertain me by eating corn dogs. Only to entertain me by taking me to tourist attractions. Kay?

Anonymous said...

Sure, we can visit the EMP. And there are some lovely little fish and chips places on the water.

You are not missing anything by missing out on corn dogs. Honest.