Sunday, May 27, 2007

members only

I have been called "old" by three different people in the last couple of weeks. First, one of the new teachers on staff told me that the kids respected me because I was "so much older" than she. I bit my tongue to keep from saying they don't respect her because she lets them do whatever they want, not because she's young. Hmph.

Then one of my students asked me why "old teachers" always say such 'n such (whatever I was saying at that moment). Again with how ancient I am!

And yet a third time on Friday when we went to the dealership to buy the new vehicle. The salesman assured us we would get good insurance rates because we were sooooo old. Argh.

I better start using some eye cream or something. Hehe.

*

I am not the kind of person who's ever cared much about cars, other than whether or not they are reliable and safe. But this has been a long time in coming. Our poor old Neon is on her last legs, though she continues to whistle merrily in the wind to show her defiance. We won't get rid of her. Just let her have some quality rest in the garage.

I expected the new vehicle plan would be about getting a new vehicle for Shawn - but he changed his mind about that. He wanted me to get mine first, probably so I won't complain as bitterly when he wastes gobs of money on things that are useless. And yet, he didn't want me to get the most basic Honda Element. I actually LIKE the basic one. But Shawn wanted the "SC" (whatever that means) because it has painted fenders and air conditioning and carpeted floors and sits lower to the ground. None of these are things that matter to me in the least. I like the black fenders just fine because I LIKE the fact that the Element looks like a Lego car. I never need AC because I'm always cold. I LIKE the plastic floors because I wouldn't be as concerned about getting mud on them from my bike. And I LIKE being up high so I can see better. At any rate, by getting the SC version of it, Shawn was well enough pleased to feel happy about the purchase and I am actually (I think for the first time in my life) excited about driving.

*

No comments: