Tuesday, March 13, 2007

XTreme Transcription

Today has been a whirlwind of doing.

I visited student teachers in the morning. I wrote a 22 page design document in the afternoon and evening, and between bursts of writing I attended a university meeting. This is why I believe I can do two full time jobs in the time it takes to do one-point-two. On days that I can manage my own schedule I am able to accomplish so much.

However. For the next three days I'm back on school board time.

In some ways school board time is frustrating because I want to get things done fast fast fast. In other ways, school board time is a relief. It's a chance to take six hours to do one hour's worth of work.

*

This morning I met with the student teacher I had so flippantly determined was crazy. She seemed to understand what I was telling her with regard to keeping her personal stories and thoughts separate from her professional journal and professional portfolio. I was really gentle with her. I told her how much I valued her allowing me to read about her personal experiences and that I fully appreciated how enormously a person's upbringing and childhood can bring richness to their teaching. I completely avoided talking about the dead bodies she's been seeing on the way to school.

She said she understood completely and agreed with me. She also said she was feeling ill and was planning to go back home. I offered to drive her (so she could avoid seeing dead bodies out the bus window), but she said she needed to do some work first.

Later in the afternoon my direct supervisor from the university called to tell me that the student teacher had called support services to report that she had been in conflict with her facilitator (me). She also said that the Director of Student Support has been counseling this student on many many issues for many many long forevers.

The lesson here is that anyone who doesn't love me is clearly nuts.


*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep.

L-Heart-V-E.

Anonymous said...

What about those of us who love you who are also, in addition to that, clearly nuts? :P

mischief said...

L-Heart-V-E!! L-Heart-V-E!! L-Heart-V-E!!

*

Those who are both exhibit a different type of lunacy. Surely there's a difference (an important one) between the non-dead-body-seeing-kooks who love me, and the crazies who dislike me in spite of my gentlest and most sincere efforts and also happen to see dead people. Loving me (or not) is the more subtle difference - and the dead bodies are the more obvious, but less easily discussed in polite company.