Friday, March 30, 2007

Seven makes a complete set

Our coffee maker died yesterday. I'm not sure exactly how old it was, but I know it was really too young to die. When I told Shawn the news, he was so pleased at the prospect at having yet another appliance to shop for that I have become suspicious that he may have killed the coffee maker. It has always irked Shawn that the coffee maker was white while the rest of our kitchen appliances are stainless steel. It seems like the shag carpet one-bedroom apartment with harvest gold and avocado appliances existed in another universe. He wants things to match. It's odd that a man who occasionally wears his underwear inside out and doesn't notice should be so concerned about matching appliances, but he is. Now.

*

I spent the last few days with my niece who makes the most fantastic little house guest. She is always polite but never false and happily decides what she wants for dinner without any, "You decide," "No, you decide," "Whatever you want is fine with me". I clearly recall Shawn asking her what she wanted for dinner when she stayed here last summer and him being startled when she wanted brussel sprouts and peas for dinner. This time she wanted brussel sprouts and corn. We added some chicken to the menu for Shawn's sake. Sometimes I wonder how it's possible for a little girl who has had such a tumultuous life to be so stable and well-adjusted. I think she is really rather magical.

*

No comments: